Miracle Sunday (or The Dog Ate My Sermon)

Unless one of the dozens of First Baptist Church of Glenarden on the Kettering’s (FBCGotK) shiny new vans comes to pick her up, Pretty Peggy can’t get to FBCGotK.  So I take Pretty Peggy to FBCGotK maybe once a quarter.  An odd turn of events made the visit happen this past Sunday (2 October 2016).  […]

View full post on Pulpit Pimps

8 Comments

• Darrell Hill says:

There is a move on that is based on the so called “Corinthian” model, that would eliminate a single man feeding (the Pastor) the saints when they gather together. Thus spreading the responsibility of speaking to any who fancy themselves as gifted prophets or unlearned speakers of languages, including women. All orchestrated by the Holy Spirit. Thus effectively eliminating the regulated Bishop/Pastor/Elder from “dominating” the gathering. So Christendom is searching and uncertain about the Pastoral office. Using the guise of the Holy Spirit orchestrated gathering. Taking us from the extreme of liturgical meetings to Corinthian confusion. Proceed with caution. When anyone says this is what the “Spirit” says and the Word of God written is abandoned, we are left trying to stand on a cloud rather than a firm foundation. We have a more sure WORD…

• Darrell Hill says:

I wonder if our Lord was speaking the truth in love to the Pharisees in Matthew chapter 23. I know that Paul was when writing in sharp rebuke of the Corinthians and Galatians. I know that our Lord was speaking the truth in love in the letters to the Churches in the Book of Revelation. Never the less, they were rebuked, warned and exhorted..
    .To emphasize Melvins point,
    2 Timothy 4:2-3-
    Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. [3] For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

• Darrell Hill says:

Hear, hear! Very accurate and skilful use of the sword of the Spirit. We must never read modern practice and “experience” into holy scripture.
    We must ever follow the clear dictates of the word of God. Like as Moses was warned not to stray from the pattern of the temple in the old covenant.

• Fatima says:

I have an innocent question. Signs are for unbelievers am I correct? (MN: And I have an innocent answer: No, you are not correct. 1 Corinthians says Tongues are for non-believers (1 Cor 14:22) Nothing there about healings as a sign to non-believers.) Isn’t there a chance that the Lord would perform a miracle in this type of setting? (MN: Not if He is consistent with His word.)

Wouldn’t it lead to souls being added to the kingdom? (MN: Some may certainly come. But it would be in spite of the “miracle”, not because of it.)We can’t dismiss this at all (MN: Yes we can; especially if it is contrary to Scripture). As you all say the Lord does as he pleases (MN: And He is consistent with His word.). Maybe this day was a day for such a thing.

Aren’t there examples of Jesus healing raising the dead and casting out Devils instantly and not before a sermon? (MN: Certainly. And what was the purpose of those actions? To demonstrate His authority, not to convert people. And what authority is John trying to demonstrate?)

Are we not supposed to be able to do these things as well (MN: No, we are not.)? The lost come to church all the time and walk right out, then there are that some that are convicted by the word immediately, then there are others that are witnesses to the saving miraculous power of Jesus Christ (MN: And the Bible says this where exactly? Tell me you’re not thinking of Hebrews 6:4-5.). It’s undeniable and amazing ,
    And it converts the non-believers. (MN: Miracles don’t convert the non-believers. The Spirit of God, according to His purpose, convicts and converts people. Did the Pharisees turn to Christ with all the evidence they saw of the resurrection? No. Did they turn to Christ when he clearly healed folks? No. They tried all the more to kill him. Miracles are not for converting unbelievers.)

Am I wrong in this analogy ? (MN: Yes, you are incorrect. I have explained why earlier in my counter comments.)

I see nothing wrong with Miricle Sunday or Monday Tuesday or whatever day. (MN: I do. John’s job is to preach the Gospel and preach the word. Paul didn’t tell Timothy to preach the word in season and out…unless you think it’s a miracle sunday. It is the Word that is living and active and it is the word that convicts. HE DID NOT DO HIS JOB THAT DAY.) I’m bold enough to believe what the word says. (MN: I am too. But I don’t hold to a view of miracles that ends up making them a carnival attraction.)

Tima

• mhjones2001 says:

Beulah? Isn’t that the place that has a relationship with FBCGotK?

• Anonymous says:

This post hits close to home. When I lived in Raleigh, NC, I used to attend a church where John Jenkins has preached a few times. I remember a Sunday when the pastor of that church said that the “Spirit was so high” that he could not even preach. There was a lot of singing and dancing and screaming and carrying on, but no preaching happened. That Sunday always made me feel uncomfortable when I think back on it, because if anything is going to be left out of the Sunday service, the teaching of God’s Word should not be it. Nothing should happen that is not ordained by scripture. Scenes like this in churches today are ludicrous.

• kayrencathcart says:

I encourage you to keep on writing and speaking the truth in love, brother – I continue to enjoy your posts! I invite you & Sis. Peggy to check out my inspirational blog at http://kayrencathcart.wordpress.com when you have a moment.

Abundant blessings,
    Kayren

• Del Hill says:

A very scathing Indictment. A pithy comparison of the truth of the Gospel of the Grace of God and the doctrines of the Devil. Biting sarcasm reminiscent of the Prophet Elijah at My. Carmel. Brilliant! Melvin I said, “reminiscent”, because is there anything more that you and I can do? Paul assailed the Jews in their Synagogues even on the Sabbath. Is this where we need to go? We are still the Church militant.